In 1906, Suyeichi Okamura opened Benkyodo Company – one of the original businesses in Japantown – on San Francisco’s Geary Boulevard. When the family was interned during World War II, Benkyodo Company was forced to close temporarily.
After the war ended, the shop reopened, and in 1951 Suyeichi’s son, Hirofumi, took over. In 1959, the shop moved to its present-day location at Sutter and Buchanan Street. In 1990, Hirofumi passed the shop to his sons, Ricky and Bobby. Continuing a family legacy, the two brothers still own and operate the business, bringing the sweet confections – and smiles – to customers daily.